Here's an archive of the questions I receive the most often. Have another one? Please, send it in!
Eh! If no one registered it, the game wouldn't survive very long since we need your support to improve and maintain the game and the servers. So, if you like the game, please consider registering it! That is how good and cheap games can still be found on the 'Net these days!
Who would bother filling a form if there wasn't a little something special for registered players, you asked to yourself?! That's why there are little encitements, among them are:
There's a 'Registering Metal Knights' section in the online help system, accessed by clicking "Registering" from the Help menu. You'll find a form to fill with your name, alias, etc. and the mailing address. Take a look! As soon as I receive your form, I'll set you 'Registered' on the NetMetal Server. This takes a second or two.. it goes that fast since I can just as easily remove the 'Registered' status if I have troubles with your check later...
Please, don't ask me to register you in advance... That's a lot of extra work for me, please register using a credit card instead.
In order to change your password (or any other info) on a NetMetal game server, you must first connect to that server. Then, from the Internet menu, go to Settings. Update the fields there and click Apply or OK. That's it! (The button was called Update in older releases)
See Q11 if you lost your password.
It might be because:
Then the answer is no. The game will be automatically deleted after a while, depending on the exact reason.
- you have created a game you don't want to play;
- you have created a private game and you forgot the password;
- the game can't start for some reason;
- you won the game but it stays there;
- you're going to be killed next turn :)
If you can't access a game though, then let me know!
Well yes. This also allows you to play from different places. However, if that other person is playing in the same games than you, both of you won't be able to get in those games. Fortunately for the others, since it would be totally unfair if one could control two empires in a game!
If you get trapped in this situation, get your fellow player to log in from his computer for things to get back to normal.
Note that KnightSoft does NOT recommended sharing your password. KnightSoft won't be able to tell who really owns the account if a problem arises... so please play it safe.
Cheating is a major concerns in all Internet Games and can easily kill a game in a matter of weeks! That's why I put a lot of time to fight this. When people discover some bug or use external software to cheat, it becomes my top priority and I fix it or fill in the hole. From now on, with the help of you, the players, cheaters haven't found any hole I couldn't fill..!
The NetMetal Server can currently support up to 255 players at one time with little effect on speed. So there can be many people logged in while you're there. However, two players are not allowed to enter the same game at the same time. The first one gets the game and the second one must wait until the first player finishes his turn before he may enter that particular game.
I don't plan to sell the server away (I'd lose control over registrations! I can't afford that, the client is free remember?! ;) Nevertheless, for you curious folks, NetMetal is a single process deamon currently running on a Linux Pentium machine. At full capacity (255 users) it takes about 6% CPU time and can eat up to 25-30 MB in RAM. The bandwidth required average 4 KB/s. Of course, it very seldom runs at full capacity and usually takes much less resources. ;)
- You need to use the integrated MapEditor. Start a New LOCAL game and then click MapEditor. The easy-to-use MapEditor menu is then enabled, allowing you to design a battlefield.
- Once finished, EMail your .MAP file to WhiteCrow, the Official Metal Knights Cartographer! He may then give you some suggestions on how to improve it or to make it funnier to play.
- To give credit where credit is due, include your MK Alias (regular name will work), your email address (not required, but nice), and an optional URL!
- Of course, you must must follow the few rules found in the Online Help! Usually, it's the ground transitions that are invalid (like desert directly in water, mountains durectly in grass, etc). The map must have a fair amount of cities and resources and large enough to host 8 to 10 players.
- Then if it's a worthy map, it will be sended on the NetMetal server so everyone can play on it! And please, don't blame him if your map does't end on the server, he selects if a map is good according the criteria *I* gave him!
Due to the fact that MK is mainly an Internet service rather than a retail product, and to its continually evolving shape, it would be surprizing if it ever makes it to the stores. :) The good side is that you always have the latest release, get new features on a regular basis, for a price much below what you'd pay in the stores!
Yes, of course! I have some people working on the new high resolution version of the graphics, but as you can see, the game still needs some new graphics here and there... ;) Sounds are also in need of improvement. If you can do that, please send me your stuff (or part of)! If I like it and keep it for the game, I'll put your name in the Credits, send you a Free Registration and/or pay you for your work! See the Artists Corner!
Use this form to retreive your password or login information. If you can't remember what email address you had when you signed up, or if you did not provided one when you signed up, then it's a bit more difficult... you can always try to send an email to the support crew...